Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Witch's dress

I finished the Witch's dress from Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. I made it  from Sense and Sensibility's new pattern 1780s Ladies' Portrait Dress Pattern. Here it is!
 
The sketch:

I made it from two sheer fabrics, a light gray fabric with little flecks of sparkles, and a shimmery white overlay. The effect is very cool. The sparkles show through and catch the light. It also add a lot of depth.
This took some time to make because a few factors. First, these two sheer fabrics were very shifty, slippery, and hard to work with, so I hand basted the pieces together before cutting out. I knew if I cut them and then tried to baste them together I would never get them to line up again! Second, Because to the sheer fabrics I did all french seams.
I am really excited about this! I can't wait to see it on stage. I love how it looks magical and witchy without going stereotypical for a witch. One thing I hate in costume design is stereotypes. What is the point of copying someone else's ideas? That's not design! I like to approach things in a vacuum, pretend I have never seen any representation of what a witch is supposed to look like and come up with my own 100% independent ideas.

Next I will work on the Queen's dress.

I can't find a pattern that suits my needs for this so I will have to frankenpattern/self draft this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment